The Child and Dependent Care Grant is a reimbursable allowance of up to $1,000 toward one of the eligible scenarios detailed below. Funds may not be used for ongoing dependent-care expenses, or the costs associated with transporting the dependent or the attendee to the meeting. Submission of an application is not a guarantee of funding.
Grant Requirements and Eligibility
- Applicants must be an AAA member in good standing. Renewal payments or new membership applications must be completed with 2023 dues paid before the submission deadline.
- An abstract submission, as a presenting author, by either the normal or the late abstract deadlines.
- Priority will be given to trainees and early-career members.
- Applicant must be a primary caregiver.
- Only one grant per family may be awarded.
- Recipients are expected to attend Anatomy Connected and present their research. Cancellations or no-shows will not receive funding.
- Eligible dependents are defined as the following:
- Children under the age of 16
- Disabled child of any age
- Spouse, partner, or family member for whom the applicant is the primary caregiver
Eligible Funding Scenarios:
Funds may be applied to only one of the following eligible scenarios. Expenses more than the grant amount are the applicant’s responsibility. Funds may not be used toward expenses for transporting dependent or the applicant to the meeting. All expenses are reimbursable after applicant’s participation in the meeting and submission of receipts and a completed reimbursement form. Reimbursement form will be provided with the grant notification.
- Dependent care provider travels to applicant’s home - If the applicant must arrange for a family member or other caregiver to travel to the applicant’s home to care for the dependent while the applicant participates in the meeting, grant funds may be used for travel costs associated with one dependent caregiver’s travel from their home city to the applicant’s home. Grant funds may be applied toward caregiver’s economy class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, parking at caregiver’s home airport/station, or mileage and parking if driving to the attendee’s home.
- Dependent(s) travel to caregiver outside home community - If the dependent(s) will be cared for by a relative or other caregiver who resides outside the applicant’s community, grant funds may be applied to costs associated with transporting the dependent(s) to the caregiver’s home. Funds may be used toward dependent(s) economy class airfare or train fare, unaccompanied minor travel fees (where applicable) and airport/station transfers.
- Dependent-care provider travels to meeting location to care for dependent(s) - When it is not practical for the dependent to remain at home, grant funds may be applied to the travel costs associated with a family member or other caregiver to travel to the meeting location to care for the dependent(s) while the applicant participates in the meeting. Funds may be used toward one caregiver’s economy class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, airport/station parking, mileage to/from airport/station, and on-site housing for the caregiver (if housed in a separate room from the applicant).
- Additional hours at applicant’s home for Care provider - If the applicant must arrange for a caregiver to spend additional hours at the applicant’s home to care for dependent(s) while the applicant participates in the meeting, travel award funds may be used for to pay for the hourly costs associated with the additional dependent(s) care expenses (i.e. longer hours of a babysitter or nanny).
Funding may NOT be applied to the following:
- Ongoing childcare or nursing care an applicant would normally incur (e.g., before/after school care or nursing care retained on an ongoing basis).
- Costs of dependent(s) travel to or from the meeting location
- Any of the attendee’s expenses.
- First class or business travel
- Rental car
- Other expenses deemed unreasonable by the awards committee
Applications will be reviewed based on a 1-page statement of need describing how this travel award will be of benefit. In your statement, you will answer the following questions:
- Explain how attending Anatomy Connected 2023 will benefit your career.
- How much funding are you requesting? Explain how you plan to use this funding.
- the number of dependents
- type of funding scenario support requested
- number of hours needed (if option #4)