Code of Ethics
It is the intent of the American Association of Anatomists (AAA) to strive for the highest
ethical conduct from individuals who hold management and governance positions of
trust and confidence in fulfilling the mission and goals of the organization. These
sensitive positions include officers, executive director, and members of the board.
In an effort to achieve the highest standards of conduct, each officer, key staff member,
and board member is requested to acknowledge (by signing electronically) the following adopted
Code of Ethics by January 30 each year. This acknowledgement will be kept on file at
the AAA national office.
All officers, key staff members, and members of the board of AAA are required and
expected to exercise the highest ethical standards of conduct and practice fundamental
honesty at all times.
We, as AAA professionals (staff and board members), dedicate ourselves to carrying
out the mission of this organization. We will do the following:
- Recognize that the chief function of AAA at all times is to serve the best interests of our constituency.
- Accept as a personal duty the responsibility to keep up-to-date on emergingissues and to conduct ourselves with professional competence, fairness, impartiality, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Respect the structure and responsibilities of the Board, provide them with facts and advice as a basis for their making policy decisions, uphold and implement policies adopted by the Board.
- Keep the community informed about issues affecting it.
- Conduct our organizational and operational duties with positive leadership exemplified by open communication, creativity, dedication, and compassion.
- Exercise whatever discretionary authority we have under the law to carry out the mission of the organization.
- Serve with respect, concern, courtesy, and responsiveness in carrying out the organization’s mission.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of personal integrity, truthfulness, honesty, and fortitude in all our activities in order to inspire confidence and trust in our activities.
- Avoid any interest or activity that is in conflict with the conduct of our official duties.
- Respect and protect privileged information to which we have access in the course of our official duties.
- Strive for personal and professional excellence and encourage the professional developments of others.
Infractions of this Code of Ethics are to be reported directly to any member of the Executive Committee.